Here is PART 1 if you have not read that yet…
ABC’s 20/20 ran the story of the murder that happened in my house. Imagine seeing your house with your kitchen, the front of your house and more juxtaposed with crime scene photos and police video of a bloody murder. It was a bit unnerving and proof that allowing the film crew to “reenact” the scene in our home would have been a terrible choice.
Murrieta police and the District Attorney’s office I am sure enjoy the publicity of their success, but as the newer home owner its a bit gruesome and disappointing see how our community allowed the media to exploit the situation. One of ABC’s camera angles showed a document with our full address on it, for instance. My wife had repeated requests for our home to be filmed.
With the man behind bars with a life sentence my house has a story but not the full story told. This neighborhood is a great neighborhood and our city an incredible place to live. We love the house and will live well in it.
The sad news here is how a family and neighborhood were assaulted and how evil destroys. The house is just a house but my prayer is that our family would redeem this house and bless our neighborhood and city. God has my family living here for a purpose.
Here are some bizarre factoids:
- The killer was a devout Jehovah’s Witness and elder in the church (I am a pastor.)
- The public defenders last name is Kirkpatrick
- The day of the filming, we saw the crew filming in a similar house and the crews awkwardness at our glaring at them
- Our house was shown on national TV and my lawn had a brown spot (At least they could have warned me so I could have painted it green!)
- ABC showed very gruesome pictures of the crime scene…flashing the victim’s body into every single cut to and away from commercials and in the footage as a motif. Seriously! (ABC, you SUCK by the way).
- The circumstantial evidence was so huge, the jury took only 3 hours after a full three week trial but all the evidence was circumstantial. (I guess buying life $1M in life insurance, googling ways to kill and not telling 911 about your dead wife first before talking about the supposed break in swayed the vote.)