Read Philippians 2:1-11 for reference…
Really, sometimes I wonder if we who lead in any capacity get it at all. Jesus came to serve and lay down His life for His Father’s mission. We want perks for minimal sacrifice! Here is list of five things that you will get instead of your parade:
- Legacy: whether its a good one or bad one is not the question. What you do will impact and last beyond you. You can be an inspiration, pleasant memory or the fart caught up in a whirlwind.
- Pushback: even those who are on your side from time to time will press against you. Then, there are those who are competing against your very mission in life. Count on being pushed back–whether friendly fire or not it will come.
- Loneliness: there will be some decisions, seasons and issues that you have to be the last man (or woman) standing on. Its not lonely at the top, its lonely at the sewer where real leadership happens.
- Fatigue: I need not say too much here. Its tiring when you are thinking through, praying through leadership of people. Do not think you can coast or be comfortable. Managing fatigue is a major responsibility of leadership.
- Reward: you may not get your parade this side of heaven nor deserve one. But, what we suffer with Christ as we live His mission will indeed give us reward. You may get reward this side of heaven, actually. But, that is not gonna help you. It may hurt you if you ever feel entitled to it.
Do you have any additions or comments about this list?