We just went to my son’s open house for his class. Being a 5th grader, my son has it made. He is not sure of that now, but he will one day look back on this last year of elementary education with fondness–at least I hope so. What is it like for him?
- Video games!
- Pancakes with chocolate chips for breakfast each day from his mom.
- Braces now on his upper teeth are a new annoyance.
- Bionicles are still OK, still pretty cool and so are board games.
- Did I mention video games?
- Boomerang is heaven to watch, Star Wars Clone Wars and Disney’s Channel TV shows, too.
- He is outgrowing is shoes before they are worn out at a faster pace these days.
- We still call each other “best bubs”
- He loves hanging out with his friend Lucas.
- Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy…are you kidding me?
- School is boring now…really boring.
- Math is his favorite and science. “Dad, I can be an inventor…”
- More video games!
- He dreams, imagines and plays still!
I hope the last thing does not change. To be old enough to think with some complexity and young enough to dream is a blessing. When we become men sometimes the dreaming is stuffed and mocked out of us. May it never be for my son. Someday that imagination might invent something to help all of us or at the very least entertain us!
I am not entirely sure, to be honest, what its really like to be a 5th grader. All I know is that I am gonna miss my son not being one in the near future.