J. Oswald Sanders in his classic Spiritual Leadership book quotes five questions to help figure out if you really should be leading or not (page 37). You may think you really are leading, until you truly ask questions of self-discovery like these:
- Do other people’s failures annoy or challenge you?
- Do you “use” people, or cultivate people?
- Do you direct people, or develop people?
- Do you criticize, or encourage?
- Do you shun or seek out the person with a special need or problem?
Hard stuff for me to swallow when I really probe my character. How did you do with this test of leadership?