If you have not read the last two posts, I have learned these past few weeks that I have some growths in my thyroid. I am learning a new side of making decisions. Sometimes you have to make decisions that are life-altering without having as much information as you would hope to have or with very little guarantee. The truth is that nothing but God’s grace is guaranteed this side of heaven, or perhaps the faith in God’s grace.
In the doctor’s office this week I was presented with uncertainty. I had hoped, for some reason, to hear great news or bad news. If I had a positive test for cancer, it would be clear what the next steps would be and if I was negative, the same. However, even though I had a negative scan, there is uncertainty to my prognosis. For instance, the uptake test I mentioned in the last post produced both hot and cold. Also, my gland is functional. And, even a negative test on a biopsy would not enlighten the my doctor any further.
I was presented a choice. Wait for 3-4 months and then have a sonogram. This new sonogram would be compared with the previous to determine growth or not in the nodules. If no growth in the nodules are found, then I might go for check ups a couple times a year. The other choice was to aggressively take action and remove the Thyroid or possibly just a portion of it. The doc presented it to me that it was reasonable enough to have surgery and that if I would "lose sleep" over having a lump in my neck that I should just go ahead with the surgery.
Would I lose sleep? Well, I made the decision to find out if I would lose sleep over this (it is 12:58 AM right now) and wait. I have peace about this, knowing that every day is a gift, anyway. And, my hope is to find out more information and get another opinion. However, I will not lose sleep over this. (Even though it is 12:58 AM, my wife and I just watched a DVD).
So, the waiting begins and in a some weeks ahead I will post further. For now, please pray. I thank you so much for the prayers and nice emails and comments.