I am excited about teaching a 4-week community class at Rancho Community Church in Temecula, CA. It starts this Wednesday and runs from 6:30 to 8:00 PM (April 11, 18, 25 and May 2). The class is FREE. REGISTER
How to navigate the maze of social networking, video gaming, and online entertainment.
Bring your iPad, Laptop or Smart Phone to interact with the class live!
Consider the following situations:
A local school has police investigating a fake Facebook account where a teen threatens to hurt himself. A college student jumps off a bridge, then his roommate faces jail time for webcasting his illicit encounter. An employer looks at a social networking site, then chooses to not hire a candidate based on pictures posted.
Social networking, video gaming, and our real lives all intersect with the smart phone in our pocket, our living room cable boxes, and our laptops. Families need to be equipped to protect themselves and their children from the real threats of the “online” world in which we now live.
Key topics covered:
- Intro: A primer to online life in 2012.
- Online manners: what are they and how to have them!
- How to…
- Protect your family from online threats.
- Write an online “code of ethics” and live by them.
- Use basic online tools to streamline your online time.
- Leverage online activity for good — making a difference.
- Keep Video Gaming, Cable, and Satellite TV in balance.
- Help your family to make better choices online.
- What should I really be afraid about? (This might surprise you!).