It has been a while since I have posted this series about our New Adventure. In fact, it has been over a year that my family has been traveling down this new path so here is an update on the life and times of the Kirkpatrick clan here in Murietta, California.
Changes: My time at Venture Christian Church has ended.
About six months ago I took an interim contract to lead worship part time at Venture Christian Church in Murietta, CA. That has now ended, with me serving my last Sunday this week. Even though we knew this was not a longterm fit for us and the church, it surely has been rewarding seeing people raised up. And, leading this group in worship these past months has been deeply meaningful. I have enjoyed this group of worshipers!
One of the most inspiring reflection about my time there was hearing my friend tell me the difference I made in the lives of the team he left me to lead there. He said people were given confidence and the ability to rise to the occasion because of my leadership. This was humbling and encouraging to hear. Most of the time when we lead people we never know what the investment truly brings to the kingdom.
Creating Music: A recording project, Fundraising, and Concerts.
Many of you have seen Emilie grow up on this blog. This little 17-year-old is nearing completion on her first profesional project: a 3-song EP to be released this fall. All the songs are hers and the process has taught her and her dad a lot about creating music. From her angle, she just recorded music with a talented producer and gifted musicians and held her own. My side of this has been the rewarding activity of coaching my own child in becoming a leader, artist who in her own right is going to make a difference with her gifts in people’s lives.
We finished the tracking of the voice and instruments. We have the mixing and mastering left as well as printing and digital distribution to get going. All of this could not have happened without family members, friends and people who we have connected with on social media pledging to help her! (We have just a day or so left, so click here to help out).
On top of this, Emilie is performing at a local worship training event, leading worship with me. And, a local fund raiser. Please check those out if here in SoCal. Or, if you want to book her, me or both of us call me or use the contact form.
Writing: Yes, I am writing…and speaking.
I am writing music, but this past year has seen some activity in writing articles and more. Here is a sample of stuff I have been doing.
- ChristianityToday.com Faith in the workplace site published this: Workplace Ethics in the Local Church: Thou Shalt Not Pray the Bills
- Stan Endicott published a devotional book called Reflect for worship leaders and worshipers which includes a chapter and story I penned.
- I am working on a book to be published professionally… not gonna give away the details on this, but this is for real and a bit scary, too.
- There is an e-book I will self-publish soon that will aid leaders in structuring worship teams and the like.
- Blogging and blogging communities like the High Calling are still a staple for me as well as is the podcast over at WorshipMythbusters.com.
- Besides writing, I am also speaking a few times this year. Here is what I currently have on the docket.
I am still interested in church ministry, but this time of new endeavors is shaping me so I am not in a hurry. Our family, like many others, has financial strains to deal with. God is also shaping us through those. As we continue as a family to move forward I pray I can rest in all of that and be ready for this still-emerging season in my life.
Well, thanks for reading! What is up with you these days, my faithful readers?