The death of vocational ministry’s effectiveness is summed up in one word: entitlement.
Entitlement is when those of who serve the local church as professional ministers operate for either goals that are not the mission of the Church or use methods and means that are not the way of the Church. Here are five ways I think this plays out.
- It is the use of quid pro quo over ideas, people and process.
- It is demanding comfort, favors or status over mission.
- It is putting pride in position over loving people.
- It is narcissism setting in when a group of believers loves you.
- It is getting tired from protecting yourself rather than from giving yourself.
Any other ways entitlement creeps into ministry leadership?