I have a list below of five things that all combined distinguish worship music from what would not be worship music. Please note that this list of words is qualified in the video, so you might miss what I am saying if you skip the video. Of course, lets please understand that worship music does not mean we are worshiping. That is an issue of the heart. This list is just a way of identifying the music that helps us to express that worship.
- Truthful – biblical and also something we can say truthfully & authentically (John 4:21,23)
- Singable – not just in range of the congregations voice, but I remember the tune and it represents what the group needs to sing.
- Teachable – we sing to God, about God and for God but also to each other about what God is doing in us. (i.e. testimony Ephesians 5:19)
- Reachable – culture comes into play, lets be indigenous and not make new people learn a whole new language (1 Corinthians 14)
- Beautiful – the mystery, craftsmanship and story should be present. (Psalm 66:2, Psalm 33:3)
Did I miss any? What do you think is worship music?